Government Campus Course OTS08647
What is this course?
A unique course, accredited by the APM, for the development of practical project management knowledge and practice, based on the syllabus of the APM’s Project Professional Qualification (PPQ). Normally, you attend a course, learn stuff then go back into your workplace and forget most of it! Well, this course is different. We create a very special learning environment which gets you to use the learning so that it is truly embedded. You should approach this course not just as knowledge acquisition, but development of your ability to deploy that knowledge – which means developing your capability and competence. The course also prepares you thoroughly for the optional PPQ exam.
Who is it for?
Project managers who:
- want to take the next step after the APM’s Project Management Qualification (PMQ) or PRINCE2
- want to become a full member of the APM (post-nominal letters ‘MAPM’)
- want a pathway to gaining APM Chartered Project Professional – PPQ satisfies the technical knowledge requirements of Chartership
- have been working in project management for 5 or more years and want to expand their practical skills in managing projects.
What are the benefits?
This very practical course gives you a unique opportunity to improve your project management technical and personal skills. To facilitate this, you will apply your knowledge of project management to a carefully prepared real-world project scenario. You will work alongside other PMs and be guided by experienced tutors in creating solutions to realistic project situations. The case-study we use is a real-life situation and will aid your thinking deeper about the situations and problems involved.
Additionally, you will be thoroughly prepared to sit the PPQ exam.
What are the features of our unique programme?
We will present you with a blended learning programme which consists of the following steps:
- on-line (live) induction session with your tutor
- on-line video training sessions covering the 16 topics of the syllabus. These can be viewed at your convenience and repeated as often as you need. Additionally, on-line access to a vast database of project management information
- self-test questions to check your knowledge and understanding of the topics
- podcasts by senior PMs of their experience of project management in the real world
- attendance at a tutor-led (live), highly practical 2-day workshop – see below for detail
- post-workshop: feedback report
- the (optional) examination.
The aim of the workshop is to get you to think differently about how you manage projects – this will be an intense, challenging and an exciting experience for you. Prior to attending, you will be provided with an extremely comprehensive 28-page case study to review so that you can thoroughly familiarise yourself with the background of the project we are going to make believe you are managing.
When you arrive at the workshop, you will meet your tutor and the students and, after an introductory session, the tutor will allocate you to a small syndicate group. The tutor will present a problem that has occurred on the project and you then spend about 45 minutes in your syndicates discussing, analysing and creating a compelling solution. You will take turns in presenting, over 5 to 10 minutes, to the course your individual syndicate solution; this will be critiqued by the other groups and the tutor. You will then receive a solution note, which will be explained by the tutor. You then all move onto the next exercise and repeat the process.
There will be ample time for questions or short seminars by the tutor on any of the syllabus topics. During the workshop you will also be coached on presentation, interview and report writing skills.
There will be one individual one-hour exercise to write a report based on the case study which will then be marked by your tutor and written feedback and marks provided.
This challenging workshop will put you in project situations requiring comprehension, judgement, and proposals for action. You will gain experience in quickly assessing a problem situation, formulating a decisive solution and to present responses in a clear and lucid style. The exercises have been designed to develop your analytical and problem-solving skills.
Format of the (optional) exam
You do not have to sit the exam if you just want to improve your mastery of project management; however, most students want to achieve the qualification to help their careers!
The PPQ exam is in 3 parts:
- Scenario assessment (2 Assessors) – 10 minutes preparation, 20 minutes discussion with one of the assessors who will conduct a role play exercise (e.g. as your Sponsor). Candidates are presented with a case study, which has been sent to them 4 weeks prior to the assessment, and you play the role of the PM dealing with a given situation.
- Oral exam assessment (2 Assessors) – 50 minutes. Four questions based on the pre-seen scenario. You verbally explain to the assessors how you would apply project management best-practice to the given problem or situation.
- Written report (1 Assessor) based on the pre-seen case-study – 60 minutes. This report is produced by you on your laptop/PC on-line and examines your communication and analysis skills to a situation based on the scenario.
Pass mark: 60%
We will make all the necessary arrangements for booking your exam, or you can choose to book yourself on an exam at your convenience at a later date. Please note that our course fees DO NOT include the APM’s PPQ exam fee, which is payable directly to the APM (see below).
What is The Project Academy Limited’s credibility in this area?
We are formally an accredited training provider to the APM, meaning that this course has been independently assessed by the APM for quality assurance, credibility and expertise of our trainers and also that the course matches the APM’s professional standards. TPA has 15 years experience in the development of more senior project practitioners. For example, we are a Delivery Partner on the Government’s Project Leadership Programme (PLP). We are a leader in the development and accreditation support of Chartered Project Professional (ChPP), for which the PPQ level of technical knowledge is required. We have supported over 400 senior practitioners gain ChPP, with a success rate of over 90%
How do I enrol on this course?
Through the Government Campus portal, managed via the Learning 2020 contract with KPMG. The course code is OTS08647.
Please note that this is a “closed course” in that a group needs to be formed and procured through the Government Campus process. Minimum group size is 6 and maximum of 12, but please note that the course price is a fixed lump sum price based on 12 participants. If you are an individual seeking to attend this course, we recommend that you discuss your participation with your project delivery Head of Profession to determine if/when a group is being sponsored for the course. Alternatively, we offer an “open” course outside of the Government Campus. Please contact The Project Academy Limited directly.
What are the fees?
Course fees are notified through the Government Campus via KPMG.
Please note: course fees DO NOT include the APM’s PPQ exam fees. You will either need to pay the APM directly when you submit your application or you will be given a code to use by your Government department / sponsor. The current APM PPQ assessment fee is £954 including VAT.
Where can I get further information?
If you have a query about the course content / structure, or be included on our “expression of interest” list, then please contact our Training Manager, Janine Edgar
If you have a query regarding the Government Campus procurement / booking process, please seek out the appropriate KPMG contact.
If you have a query regarding any future PPQ groups within your Government department, we recommend you contact your Head of Profession.